Friday, August 28, 2009

Ran across an interesting quote today...

This from Strike The Root


"When men get in the habit of helping themselves to the property of others, they cannot easily be cured of it." ~ New York Times editorial opposing the proposed income tax, 1909

I chortled quite a bit, actually.

Also, forgot where (maybe the same site), I found one a few days ago that I kept.

"The voice of protest, of warning, of appeal is never more needed than when the clamor of fife and drum, echoed by the press and too often by the pulpit, is bidding all men fall in step and obey in silence the tyrannous word of command. Then, more than ever, it is the duty of the good citizen not to be silent." ~ Charles Eliot Norton



It is interesting to note, especially in recent months, that dissent went from being patriotic (Cindy Sheehan, anyone?), to being terrorism and extremist (or even 'made up', as some would have people believe) in nature.

Succinct is a word I use often to describe myself, but I'm finding it rather difficult these days to stay that way without being poignant to the people I'm trying to explain these things to.

I'm getting upset with people more frequently then in the past. My mind cannot wrap around the fact that little attention is being paid to this kind of stuff... OR!... Or is it being paid attention to, whilst we all sit back and complain, feeling lonely, thinking no one is paying attention? Should I acquire stock in a tinfoil company, or revel in the fact that the house of cards is coming down around our ears while everyone sticks their fisking heads in the sand!?

Good questions to ponder.

No comments:

Post a Comment